We know that for many homeowners plumbing can feel like a mystery. The pipes are hidden behind the walls and floors and you rarely think about them unless there is a leak or you need plumbing repair. While it’s important to learn and understand about your home plumbing system, there are many myths about plumbing that can lead to damage to your pipes or plumbing system.
Here are some common plumbing myths exposed:
- MYTH: Home plumbing fixtures need no maintenance
- This is a very dangerous myth. It’s important to regularly inspect your home sinks, drains, faucets, and tubs for clogs before damage occurs. You should also inspect your sewer cleanouts to ensure they are not obstructed. Regular maintenance and inspections can help you avoid damage and expensive repairs.
- MYTH: If my sink is draining, then it’s not clogged
- Particles can build up in your drain and pipes slowly. If you begin to notice the warning signs of a clog, such as slow draining, then ensure that any clogs are removed right away.
- MYTH: Store bought drain cleaners are always safe
- Store bought drain cleaners contain extremely harsh chemicals that can cause burns and skin or eye damage. They can also damage your sinks or fixtures, and may not completely clear your drain. It’s best to contact a professional plumber for assistance.
- MYTH: All products labeled “flushable” are safe for your toilet
- While many manufacturers may advertise their products as safe to be flushed down your home toilet, they often do not thoroughly decompose enough to fit in your drainage system leading to clogs. These can lead to immediate clogs, or slowly build up to create clogs deeper in your system.
At Reliant Plumbing, we are here to help our greater Austin area friends and neighbors have the healthiest home plumbing possible. If you have a plumbing issue, contact our friendly team today.